26 September 2008

I've Got a Soap Box and I'm Not Afraid to Use It

Awhile ago I was having a text conversation with my brother, who is uber into politics. I am not sure in all honesty where he got it from, but he is rather passionate about politics and most things political, unlike his sister the political science major. Anyways, so we were texting back and forth about Sarah Palin and other things and I finally got fed up and said, "OMG, will you just IM me? I am not made of texts." So he went home and IMed me and we went on ranting and raving on our soap boxes. During this soap box marathon, one of us brought up the point about how in our last major election Kerry was the guy with the war experience and look where it got him: NOWHERE!

:: gets on her soap box ::

Now, I have the most respect for McCain for being locked in a box and making it out alive. I am not sure how he exactly functions as he does after the horror he went through, as the guys in The Things We Carry weren't locked in boxes and they were falling apart. Anyways, so I understand McCain has some war experience and he's been sitting around Congress for awhile. I get that. Kerry was also in the same war (forgive me, I cannot for the live of me remember what Kerry did other than ride on a pontoon boat or something) and also sat around in political circles for awhile. However, for reasons I did not and do not understand, we re-elected Bush (or actually elected him if you want to be techical about it). So, right now, I do not want to listen to war experience as a reason to elecect McCain as president. Or that his experience makes him the best canidate. Fooie.

Now, the last election I did not follow very closly at all due to the reason I knew I was not going to vote. Yeah, I have never voted. I believe I was the only Political Science major at Beloit who did not vote for things. I did not have a very good reason for not voting for a long time. I just felt I was not informed enough, nor did I care enough to become informed enough. Thus, I felt I should not vote uninformed. So I did not. I only registered to vote due to peer pressure from my 16 year old brother and my mother. I only did this because I knew I would be safely in Scotland when the election hit, so I could just simply advoid their questions at all cost. However, this back fired, as my mother went to vote on election day and told the chick her name and the lady was like, "Oh, are you Ireland?"

My mother's eyes narrowed (well, at least I assume they did) and she said, "No, I'm Maura." She went straight home and wrote me an angry email for not filling out the absentee ballot form my dad sent me. Hey! I was in Scotland and had no printer until it was too late to mail the damn thing back. And I did not have a print card nor the hours to stand in the print que in the library. Plus, after the doonbockale with Gore/Bush in 2000, I KNEW my vote would not matter. I knew IL would go Democratic and that Bush would win. This is exactly what happened. I knew this while I knew nothing about the issues. Thus, I hid in Scotland and was totally embrassed the next day to be shot with questions about the election and why the people of my country re-elected the world idiot. I had no answers for them and just looked like a deer in head lights while they all pelted me in their Scottish accents.

This election...I live in the dirt hole and in solid Republican territory. However comma, I did mail off my absentee ballot from where I came from. Why? Because I'm still registered there. I am still a resident of that said state due to being "in the military." Thus, I will vote there. I am informed this time more than before due to my feelings of agression towards Republicans in general. (ARG! SARAH PALIN!) Also, I feel I understand more about the election process in general. I am wiser than I was four years ago. I feel it is okay to vote. I was not comfortable when I was 18 (even though I don't know if there were elections that year) or during the last election when I was 20 or 21. I think election day was on my birthday that year....the point is, I understand something now. Something I think is important.

I had a friend during the primary who said he felt Obama was sketchy has he was running on CHANGE and this guy did not know exactly what this CHANGE was perse. I have no real clue what this CHANGE is either. I never understand politics in general. What these people run on, will not happen. Stuff will happen, but what campaigns are run on rarely ever come to life. Campaigns are emotional. They are ruled by emotion and fueled by it. If it lacked emotion it would go nowhere and we would not have them. People vote based on emotions towards canidates. Seriously. Its like in grade school: it is a populartiy contest. Having realised this, and the fact Sarah Palin irks me to no end and I want her silenced, I mailed off the ballot request. I am all for this CHANGE, as what is going on sucks. What Obama might do might not be any worse than what McCain would do, and really, I think Obama would work better on the world stage than the old McCain would. And it is a popularity contest. I think Obama is a better popular guy than McCain. Hell, McCain blew Letterman off for Katie! What popular person blows off Letterman for Katie? Ewwwww!

You know, there was more of a point to this rant and soap box post, but I have lost it in my ranting here. Sorry.

:: gets off soap box and goes back to life ::

No comments: