05 July 2010

Basil Bea and her Bed

Basil Bea Dog has always loved two things in her life: her crate and her pillow(s). When we first got her she loved her pillows so much, she ate them. After having all the pillows in her life taken away, she learned to just love them by wearing them out. This whole wearing out the pillows is a lot less frustrating than when she would eat them.

Since moving to Alaska, she's gone through three pillows. She loves pillows the best when they are in her crate. Basil Bea arrived loving crates. She was crate trained and at first I though it a wee bit odd she would go into her crate when it was not time for bed or time for me to leave. She hung out in her crate, took naps and well....hung out in there a lot. When we lived in Chicago, we tried to keep her out of the crate, mostly because she seemed to antisocial if she was always out in the cold greenhouse. So I bought her two pillows and kept one in the family room, where each night at 7 pm, she'd give us her rendition of a drunken sailor.

Since we've arrived in Alaska, I just let her hang out in her crate. I figure if she wants to be in there, she can be in there. It keeps her fur in one spot. And she doesn't bark as much if she's always hanging out in her crate.

Recently I got her a new pillow, because the other one I got had become rather misshapen from liviing in the crate. It had a Basil shaped hole in it and I figured she was hanging out on the plastic, as the stuffing was pushed out. She was really excited when I produced the new one, her whole body was shaking. She loved it.

Till today.

I am not sure what happened. This morning she began pawing at the bed. Then I left her in it when I left. At some point today she began to hang out on her old pillow (the misshapen one). Tonight, when I came up for bed, she was in the sewing room, on the old pillow. I am in the bedroom and she's not in her crate. I'm pretty sure she will spend the night on the dodgy pillow.

Crazy puppy.

No comments: