15 July 2010

A New Direction

Recently, I have been feeling listless and bored. Last time I felt this way, I launched Ireland Scott Designs. Seeing I cannot "relaunch" Ireland Scott Designs, I decided to just add to what Ireland Scott had to offer (har har har). I decided to launch a...gift bag line. Why gift bags?

Because I like "scrap booking." I put those in quotes because what they call "scrap booking" these days does not strike me as "scrap booking." The first scrap book I made (WHICH THE MOVERS RUINED WHEN THEY MOVED IT OUT OF THE DIRT HOLE) is a scarp book because I used scraps to make it. I used odds and ends. It was during this time I really discovered the world of scrap booking and for the life of me, I could not figure out why someone would take a class or only put one picture on a page. Those are the "scrap books" that confound me. There is one picture on the page and about 20 dollars worth of paper and other random things.

I love the random things though. I am a sucker for that kinds of stuff. And I love paper. And pens. I love everything the scrap book world has to offer. I just hate using it in an actual "scrap book" because then the pages never lay flat. I loved my Scotland scrap book because it was stuff I had picked up while over there. Receipts, tea bag holders, coins, cards, etc. (The receipts are gone now, as they are faded and ruined. This pisses me off greatly, but we'll save that for another day.)

Last fall I was standing in Hobby Lobby, as I so often did while I was living back in Chicagoland. I was in the scrap book section. I should not have been in the scrap book section for many reasons, but there I was, lusting after paper. I did not need any paper as the Dirt Hole scrap book was put on hold while I wanted for the internet to work again so I could upload more pictures to have printed (which never happened, well the internet began working again, but I got distracted so I never finished the Dirt Hole book).

As I lusted after the printed paper, it hit me: I could make gift bags and cards for Christmas! I was actually going to see people for Christmas that year, so I did not have to mail any thing off. I could use gift bags and MAKE THEM!

So I bought paper, stickers and plain paper bags. And proceeded to have a total ball making the bags. I had a few left over, and I posted them on Ireland Scott. I think I posted them too late, as they didn't move. I figured they wouldn't move. Then I moved.

I was lying on the bed staring at the ceiling earlier this week. I knew I needed to do something constructive, so I said to Basil Bea, "I think I will make more bags. Like bigger ones. And cards. How does that sound?"

She stared at me blankly, but I left the house, bought what I needed, spent two days working and now am beginning to post. I have a feeling all the time and money I spent will be wasted, and the gift bags and cards will never move, but at least I gave it a shot. And man was it fun making those bags. I love doing that sort of thing.

Maybe I should finally get my butt in gear and fix my Scotland scrap book?

No comments: