30 October 2008

I am a fuddy duddy

Well, tomorrow is Halloween. I have never been one of those people who is uber excited by this upcoming holiday. It seemed, as a child, I was always wearing the wrong costume. My mother mostly dictated what I was for Halloween based on what she could sew. Granted, I was always super adorable, but I never have the "it" costume and usually people in my own age group would make fun of me, or just stare at me blankly, wondering what the hell was wrong with me.

The first costume I remember was a bear costume. I was totally adorable. Totally. I still think I was more than likely the cutest kid in preschool, even though as I stood there in all my bear glory, all I wanted to be was Rainbow Bright. Yeah, do you remember her? I sure do simply because I was not Rainbow Bright, but a bear. In kindergarden, I was a bee. Or was that first grade? I do not remember, but I was a bee because my mother paid an arm and a leg for this bee dance costume and she was damn if I was not going to wear it again. I think she even made me wear the black tap shoes she had to buy just for the damn outfit because of course, she had bought me white ones to begin with. And bees do not have white feet. Whatever grade I happened to be in, we walked through the school, and while all the kids stared at me blankly, all the teachers said, "Oh! You're so cute!"

I do not remember what I wanted to be that year, but I do remember I did not want to be a bee. In first or second grade I was Madeline. I lack red hair, so my mom made me a wig, which I hated. It was made out of bright red yarn. She had bought what claimed to be red spray for one's hair, but it was very pink when she sprayed it on a piece of paper, thus it never went in my hair. I think that year I wanted to be The Little Mermaid, which is what the girl across the street was and she had a real red hair wig, not made of yarn.

In fourth grade, my mother talked me into Bonnie from Bonnie and Clyde. I had no idea what the hell she was talking about, but she did not want to spend a lot fo time on me that year due to the fact my brother was going to be Dark Wing Duck, and he had a complicated costume. Thus, she stuck me in some of her old clothes she altered to fit me and made me a "bank bag." No one had any idea I was, except my fourth grade teacher, who when she saw the bag was like, "OH! You're Bonnie!" And I was like, "Uh, yeah." This was the same teacher who had almost lost it when I was a bee with just how cute I was. Later, I got tired of explaining what I was to people, so I told them I was a French Artisit, as that seemed to make more sense to people who weren't smart enough to figure out the bank bag.

My last costume was Kirsten, the American Girl. I was her in fifth grade. I lack blonde hair, so we just crammed my hair into my bonnet and no one was any wiser. At that point in time, my eyes were still brilliantly blue, so I had that going for me. It was the least cool costume, but I do not remember caring that much in all honesty. That year, my mom FINALLY allowed me to come home at lunch to change, thus I did not have to change into my costume in the bathroom. It was a bit complicated to carry in a bag, so she finally let me come home and change.

After that, I never dressed up again really until I was in college. Sophomore year I was Buffy. I had the blonde hair by that point and I had a hair cut similar to the one she had in the second season. So, I put on a white dress, black knee high boots and a leather jacket and proclaimed I was Buffy. It went over well with my friends. In Scotland, I did not celebrate Halloween as I was in Ireland. Senior year, I was going to be Rory, but I discovered my plaid school girl skirt was a bit too short suddenly, so I wore a different skirt and an orange sweater. Everyone still thought I looked like Rory, as I had her hair. And I guess I look sort of like her when I had long hair. But after that I gave up on Halloween. I did not even wear orange or black when I was working. My department did a theme and they all dressed up as various characters from The Wizard of Oz. It was very surreal...my boss was in a Dorthy costume and looked like she was about twelve. And I had to take orders from her! It was odd. Last year, I totally missed Halloween because...uh, I think I was being forced to climb up a mountain maybe? I fail to remember.

This year I think I'll wear my "vintage" dress/tunic I made. It looks sort of mod 60s, and I have been dying to wear it, but I think it looks too 60s if I wear it alone, and I can't seem to find any leggings in the dirt hole to wear with it. Anyways, trick-o-treating here is from 6-8 pm, which to me seems stupid and late. I don't want people ringing my doorbell all through dinner. Evidently, I am the only one who believe that trick-o-treating should be right after school from 3-6. As a kid, I hated waiting till three to go. I can't imagining coming home from school and having to wait three hours to go. A half hour was long enough. Plus, as a kid I hated going after dark as it was colder and I couldn't see where I was going and I felt strange interprupting people's dinner. But I guess I am just a fuddy duddy.

I did finally go buy candy today. My husband claimed if we bought it this past weekend I'd just eat it all. What I forgot to buy was a block fo Velveeta cheese and some chili. Here's the reason I need chili:

I was supposed to be born on Halloween. But, due to the fact I was me at the time, I didn't want to come out and waited around for two more days, putting my mother through a lot of pain, as I thought I might want to come out on Halloween, but then I changed my mind. Anyways, on Halloween night, my mom made chili. It became a tradition for us to have chili on Hallween night after that. We were never big on traditions on our family, and as we got older, my mom seemed like to kill any we had, but my dad always stopped her from killing that one. Last year on Halloween, I failed to eat chili becasue I wasn't home. This year, I'll have to go get some at the grocery store. Maybe I'll get some cheese when I go out again?

No comments: