27 October 2008

since you've been gone

well, today is a rather big day. many moons ago, on this very day, I decided I wanted to get married. So, I did. And here I am now, married. And old.

Today, in the mail, I got a coupon to Ann Taylor Loft. In honor of my upcoming birthday (yeah, I decided to get married around my birthday. Just to torture my husband.) I also got a reminded to buy life insurance from my credit union so I could get in on my current age rate, and not my soon to be new age rates. I am not going to be using either of these items as a) there isn't an Ann Taylor Loft for at least 200 miles and b) I have had life insurance since I was about four days old. My dad is prepared for everything. I had no idea I had this insurance until he decided after I graduated from college that I should pay it. So, that was when I found out I had life insurance.

This past weekend, my husband and I tried to figure out how to celebrate our anniversary. Seeing we live in a dirt hole, we were lacking in options. We could go to a restaurant that might serve us bad food for an outrageous price, or eat at home and have it be good. So we ate at home. This morning, I found my present on the wall of our living room. My husband conspired with D in order to get it here and not allow me to find it. I am not sure how he did this all, as it is a large picture and I did find the tube it came in. It was in the trunk of my husband's car. Addressed to me. So, yes. Last night he said to D, "Hey, can you bring that thing I gave you to hold on to tomorrow morning?"

This made little sense to me, due to the fact I would be alone in the house all day while he was off flying in circles. With D. Thus, wouldn't it have made more sense to have D bring it later? Well, it was here this morning when I woke, and of course I cried when I saw the picture, as it was a picture of the place we got married. Maybe he did it this way so he wouldn't be around while I stood there and cried? No idea.

On a totally different note, lately I've been carrying a purse that I've has since I was 17. Or maybe 16. I honestly cannot remember when I got this purse. I remember getting it. I remember why I got it. This girl in my Chemistry class had it and I thought it was a really cool purse. It was a basic black purse. It had a stiff handle/arm hole and was made out of canvas. It looked sort of like a Prada purse, but it was made by Guess? before Guess? went all whacko and tacky. I think I paid 50 bucks for this purse and I loved it. I had a friend who called it my armpit purse, because it pretty much sits right under your arm pit when you wear it on your shoulder. This purse freaked this friend out a little, but not as much as my half round mini backpack Ralph Lauren Sport bag I had. I do not know why she was freaked so much by it, but she was. She was under the impression I think I bought purse to freak her out. But that was not why I got it. I got it because to me it seemed a bit more grown up than the purses I had been carring around. I viewed it as an investment, as to me 50 dollars (or whatever it cost at the time) was a lot of money. I carried it for a long time too, I think. It was a great school purse, and when I did break down and buy another cheap purse at Target, I missed the Guess? purse. Every now and then, I'd bring it out again and carry it around, remembering why I loved it.

I got it out the other day. It was squished on the shelf in the Man Room of our house, along with my other black purse I bought for I think 10 bucks last winter when I was job hunting and needed a purse that fit my resume. The Guess? purse has seen better days. The main body of the purse is loosing its shape, but that darn handle is still stiff as the day I bought it. Besides a little sagging in the body, the purse is still good. Though, I discoved it lacks a cell phone pouch. This amazed me as I stared into the purse. I had a cell phone when I bought the purse, but at that time I guess cell phones weren't that big of a thing, as the purse did not have a pocket in it for the phone. I think I spent awhile staring at the purse, wondering what to do with my phone, as it is a newer phone and I'd like to keep it nice. I ended up tossing it in the pocket I used for personal items. So, I've been carrying this ancient Guess? purse around for awhile now. And I am still amazed just how much I love it. (even if it lacks a cell phone pocket.) Since arriving in the dirt hole, I've been carrying a lot of my older purses. I am not sure why, but I have. No one ever says I have a cute purse or anything. The only time people have said anything about my purse is when I carried my Coach purse for awhile. But, who cares. I like my ancient Guess? purse.

No comments: