12 October 2008

the complication of chain link fences

For those of you who actually know me, you know that I am not a huge dog fan. Usually, I am borderline terrified of dogs. This is due mostly to their nature to jump on me and bark at the same time. I understand this is perfect dog-like behavior, but still. I do not enjoy it.

I never had an urge to own a dog. I never thought I would even entertain the idea.

Then...my husband went away for a month and I sat alone in an apartment for a month and suddenly, a dog seemed like a good idea.

I think I mentioned it to him once, and he told me I was crazy. You see, my husband is one of the few people I have come across that likes dogs, but he doesn't want one. He just wants to enjoy other people's dogs.

Thus, when I began thinking about dogs a lot after we got here (I have all ready named the dog several times), he always told me I was nuts and I did not want a dog. He would tell me all the things we could not do once we had a dog. This used to work. Now I just go off and find ways to prove him wrong. Yesterday, a friend of mine sent me a dog in a town about two hours from Dirt Hole USA. I spent almost all day yesterday looking at the web site, always coming back to the dog she sent him. (She is on my side to obtain a dog, because she loves dogs and I think wishes to become a crazy dog lady.) As the day wore on and I kept saying and looking at dogs, my husband said, "Fine. You can get a dog IF YOU PUT THE FENCE IN."

He was silly enough to think this would deter me. I had all ready been plotting to put a fence in fora few days. So, I walked into the study and began to research putting in a fence. The neighbor hood we live in only allows chain link fences, so I looked at those. The only place in teh dirt hole that had the option of pricing them online was Home Depot. Now I do not know a lot about putting in a fence, and my husband who has built a numerous fences over his life time refused to help me, I had to figure out the price on my own. Using Home Depot prices, I figured about 200 dollars. My husband rolled his eyes.

Later, we were hanging out with our friends (one of which is the future crazy dog lady) and both of them had put in a fence (okay, one supervised, one did the hard work). They seemed to think I would not need much, could get it cheaper at this store that did not have a website and this could all be done.

"YOU WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO ENCOURAGE HER!" my husband yelled.

He should have found someone else to try to diswade me, but not the people who enourged me by getting a dog who I now want.

I also think he failed to realize he had challenged me. It was almost like my mother telling me that if I got my ears pirced I would never wear earrings.

I always wear earrings.

No comments: