21 April 2011

Witty, Chitty and Blingy

I finished my "rework" of the 10p story (also known here as the Student & Professor). It was the story I tortured my mother with awhile back ago. The main character was unlikeable and it bored her to death.

I am not sure how. It never bore me. She didn't even get to the part I was worried did not work.

But I changed it up. I threw all the stuff that was the "main" section of the book to the cutting room floor. 10p was my attempt to write an "adult" fiction novel. The most fun I had while writing it was when I wrote the flashbacks to college, so I transplanted the whole thing to mostly college.

And it was fun again.

I have no idea if it'd bore my mother...more than likely will.

It has become clear to me I need some friends who 1) have no life and 2) like YA. Or I should clone myself and give myself wicked editing skills...

Till I magically find these people (or figure out cloning) while sitting in my house not communicating with anyone because I am simply that lame, I guess I'll just have to read it again later. Once I haven't looked at it for awhile. When I finished this "rework," I felt like I did when I finished it the first time. I did not want to let it go. But it was done. I had no clue what else to do with it. There was not much to do. It was done. Finished. Losely edited. Or badly editied.

The only worry I have is I read somewhere (on Twitter) that college stories don't sell. I remember when I was in college, I was kind of mad there weren't more stories that took place during the college years. I hate most adult fiction and I love reading YA, but I could not figure out why there were so few stories set in college. College is a time of growth and change so logically it seems like a perfect place to set a story aimed at teenagers...but maybe I'm just an idiot. (I have read a few stories that took place during college, I am sure...the only one I can think of was the last book in the Traveling Pants series. I loved that book.)

While I was home this past week, my mom asked me what happened to the four girls traveling in Europe. I looked at her blankly for a moment, as I had no clue what she was talking about. Then I remembered, so I told her I had recently finished "rewriting" it. I had begun this in the Dirt Hole and then forgot to finish it...I think the whole fleeing from the Dirt Hole came into being and then life just got crazy. I told her I had recently put it into my writing program and had "finished" it kind of, as I am not sure it really strings together right.

She told me it had potential. Or at least she thought it did if I made each of the girls stories a bit tighter, which was what I was working on.

So, after I finished 10p, I got out 4G and set to work reading it through, which I hadn't done since I finished my rewrites. We'll see how it goes.

So ends the writing post.

No comments: