29 April 2011

Nice Day for a Wedding

At 11 pm last night, I concluded I did not want to remain awake till 3 am to watch the Royal Wedding live, as even though I adore all things British, I like sleep more.

So I went to bed.

I got up at nine, knowing the BBC was going to be running the thing all day long, and low and behold, I flipped on BBC America and sure enough, right in the middle of the wedding. Woot.

I settled int to watch, not really sure what point they were at as the preacher (or whatever he is called) was preaching. I didn't really listen to him, just kept glancing up as I read through Twitter, waiting to catch Kate's dress.

I adore her style. There I said it. Mostly because she wears things I WOULD WEAR (if I had the money). That and she's got long brown hair. I have long brown hair too.

Go me.

So, I was sitting there and they finally showed her. First thought: Who put her blush on? I know she's supposed to be a blushing bride, and I know she has to do her make up a wee bit different due to the fact she is on TV, but there was a streak on her face people. 

Image from CBS News

I couldn't find a picture of that first time I saw her. It was an extreme closeup on her as she sat in the church during the preaching part. I was like, "Huh?"

Then she stood up.

And my jaw drop.

She was wearing my dress.

Of course, I do need to explain this.

When I was about 19, my friends (both with the same name, so they are both collectively known here as J...confusing, yes...not important though) and I had this sleep over where we "planned" our weddings. We got all the bridal magazines, we shopped for rings online, we planned the dates, the colors, the invites, etc.

I was going to get married on 31 December, because why not roll a wedding into a New Years Eve party? (At 19, I still seemed to believe I'd like parties someday.) At 19, I also had no boobs to speak of, so I didn't like the strapless gowns that were all the rage. Actually, I hated them. It was like HELLO SKIN. I hated that look, mostly because I hated my skin. I thought getting married in the dead of winter would allow for long sleeved dresses with high back sand fronts. In an ad of all things, I found what I was looking for. This (kind of): 

Image from CBS News

Well, pretty much. I hate trains, so I'd never have one. But that was what I had always imagined I'd wear. That was what it looked like IN MY HEAD, as I never did find the dress from the ad anywhere, and it was just a back shot of the dress in the ad I saw at 19.

Flash forward five years and me trying to find something to wear to my wedding. I gave up quickly on the whole 31 December idea, partly because by this point in time I knew for a fact that Pilot Boy would NEVER remain awake till midnight (strangely he did on our wedding night. We were still up and being social after midnight...shock). Also, it seemed not very ME and Pilot Boy to pick that day. This is how I picked the day I wanted to get married: I stared at my calendar on my desk at work and saw that the 27th of October was a Saturday. It looked like a good day to get married. I did this before he asked me marry him too, by the way. It also just fit. My parents got married in October, some 30 years before we got married. It struck me as horribly romantic and sweet. They celebrated their 30th and a few weeks later we got married.

I did not wear a dress like I had dreamed about. Know why? Sleeves were nowhere to be found. Granted I did not got an actual bridal shop...very unlike me. I hunted department stores. For a cream colored dress. That was all I wanted. I did not want an actual ball gown, did not want an actual white dress. I wanted a cream colored dress. So I looked at prom dresses. I refused to pay more than 200 dollars. And for me that was A LOT, as I had never bought a dress that was not on sale when I did buy formal dresses. (My whole wedding unfolded like nothing I had imagined. I am serious. It was like "anti-me" but me at the same time. Figure that out on your own.)

I found my dress at Macy's. With Pilot Boy. Then I dragged my mom to look at it. I could tell she thought it was right, but first she was like, "One, you're not officially engaged and Two, you will freeze."

She always thinks I will freeze. Because she knows me.

Anyways, he did ask, and I sat in the court room when I should have been listening to something about Conrad Black, but all I could think was "I NEED THAT DRESS." That evening, alone, I went to Macy's  and bought it. I also bought a cream cardigan to wear with it to appease my mother who was afraid I'd get cold in my strapless dress. (Yeah, you read that right. I had boobs by this point. Late bloomer.) I took it to the counter and paid 200 bucks for both the dress and the cardigan. Since I looked about 18 at the time, the lady told me to have fun at the dance.

The prom dress that became a wedding dress

I did not wear the cardigan and I sweat to death, as we got married next to a roaring fire. I wasn't even standing next to the fireplace. I can't imagine what Pilot Boy (who was next to it) was feeling, as the only thing he later told me was I crushed his hands as I was squeezing them too tight, which I did to distract myself from the fact there was seat dripping down my back.

I did not manage to see what sort of shoes the new Duchess was wearing, but I'll just imagine she was wearing a pair like mine, which I found at DSW shoes and perfectly matched to the point where I swear they were made out of the same material the satin trim on the dress pictured above. They also had a 1920s flare to them, kind of like the dress. (Which was what my mother told me, I was pretty sure they did not wear dresses like the one pictured above in the 20s.)

The point? I spent the entire three hours I watched the coverage before it circled around to where I showed up staring at Kate's dress and trying to figure out how she had managed to produce the dress that was IN MY HEAD. Unless she broke into my head when I was sleeping....

No comments: