17 October 2010

Smelling April Fresh

My senior year of college, the fabric softener in my walk in closet decided it wanted to see if it could fly, so it took a leap. This leap, some five feet off the ground, informed the bottle of fabric softener that it could not fly, as it broke into a million little pieces and its guts went everywhere.

I was sitting at my desk, more than likely not working on anything important, when the bottle tried to fly. I heard something fall in the closet. I turned around and saw nothing, so I turned back around. However, in a few minutes, I began to smell fabric softener. Granted, my room was above the laundry room, but usually I did not smell laundry, dirty or clean. The only time my room smelled was during the weekends when the trash got out of control, then it smelled horrible. Other than that, it was the first time I had a smell free room.

I stood up and followed my nose to the walk in closet and discovered the floor was covered and soaked in fabric softener. The whole bottle had shattered (even thought it was plastic) and there was a whole bottle worth of frabic softener all over the carpet. It was a brand new bottle too. Brand new, shiny and broken.

I had no clue how to clean up the massive puddle of fabric softener. All I knew was it smelled REALLY strong and I was getting a headache. I think I used my towel to clean it up and then ran down to the laundry room with a pile of quarters and washed the towels and anything else I had used to clean it up. For months, though, there was a dark spot where the bottle had fallen. For months, the room totally reeked of fabric softener. You'd think after smelling the smell for months, I'd remember the sent. I do not. I have no clue. All I remember is that when Pilot Boy came to visit me the first time he commented how nice it smelled and when I moved out my dad asked me what had spilled on the floor.

Last Monday, I was doing laundry. Pilot Boy was home and I had been rather angry at him because he refuses to put his dirty clothes in the basket and thus I never know what is clean or dirty. I was doing the last load for the night and picked up the bottle of fabric softener to shake it. (Its the fancy stuff you have to shake for some reason.) I guess I had failed to put the cap on right because one aggressive shake and I was covered in pink goop. I had been talking and ceased, so Pilot Boy came to check it out. I was standing there, covered in pink goop. And of course, he laughed at me. I began laughing too, as it was totally my fault. My sweater was soaked in fabric softener, as was the shirt on under the sweater. I had it all over my face and in my hair. I went upstairs, washed my face, changed my clothes and cleaned up the mess that did not get all over him.

Throughout the night though, I kept getting wiffs of the fabric softener. It seemed to have seeped into my skin. I was worried I'd smell like fabric softener for weeks. I don't. Skin doesn't hold fabric softener like fabric does. In college, when the bottle fell in the closet, my clothes forever smelled like fabric softener. I no longer needed it to make them smell, because they just smelled like it. It over powered my perfume it was so strong. I have yet to see how my sweater fared after I washed it. I bet it'll forever smell like spiced whatever.

No comments: