22 October 2010

Advetures with Brother Unit

Yesterday, the Brother Unit and I drove up to Wasilla. I have yet to venture over there, mostly because I was not sure what was there other than Sarah Palin.

There was not much there that was not in Anchorage. Well, other than really nice houses in the various neighborhoods we drove through while trying to get back on the main roads. Downtown was...well, almost non existent. It was really a small town. We drove around the lake Palin lives on and went to a park across from her house. (We weren't sure we were at her lake till we got home and Brother Unit looked it up.) The park we were at was the highlight of the trip, as it was a very nice park and I wouldn't mind heading back there when I was more properly dressed. Brother Unit and I only stayed at the park for a little while before running back to the car because it was rather...brisk outside. I was wearing a thing sweater and a trench coat. Brother Unit forgot his hat. As did Ireland Unit.

We then ate at McDonalds, the same one Pilot Boy told us to eat breakfast at because all the workers knew Sarah Palin. "They all know her. You should go there." No one was talking about Sarah when we were in there.

We then drove to downtown Anchorage and walked around downtown. I actually went to a gift shop. I have yet to be to an Alaskan gift shop aimed at tourists, but we went and it wasn't totally tacky. Plus, downtown was as brisk as Wasilla, so my ears hurt. Later, since it was so brilliantly sunny, we tried to Seward Scenic drive again to see if Brother Unit could see Denali from the car. He could. After that, we got Basil Bea and went to Earthquake park to watch the planes land and take off. (Exciting, I know, but we like this sort of thing, even though you'd think we'd be immune growing up near O'Hare...)

Today, we did not do too much, mostly because I sliced my foot open the day Brother Unit arrived and the past three days did a number on my foot. I blame Pilot Boy. Neither of us can really remember what we did before yesterday....we tried to do the Scenic Drive, but the clouds rolled in so you could not see Denali, but the other ones you could see. It was really windy too and I hate driving in general, so a lot of people passed me. And we went to Earthquake park twice. Both time with Basil Bea. She enjoys Earthquake park. We also went to the grocery store every single day Brother Unit's been here.

I am serious. We've been everyday, its like we think we're European.

My foot is throbbing so I think I'll go take my boots off and collapse till we start grilling steaks for dinner.

No comments: