17 April 2010

Nail Polish, how I love thee

I love nail polish. I have loved it since I was in 5th grade. In 7th grade, I remember it very clearly, was when the BLUE nail polish appeared. Blue nail polish? In the past (all 13 years of my life) I thought red was a big deal. Why?

My mother didn't wear nail polish and the only nail polish in our house was either clear or sheer peach. I remember the sheer peach because when I was 13 I spent about two hours painting my nails with it trying to get it to appear more vibrate. Instead, I ended up slightly high on the fumes and the polish never dried.

When I wanted to wear nail polish, my mother told me I could only wear pink. Little girls only wore pink. End of story. I couldn't wear red, blue or any other color under the rainbow only pink.

So I amassed the largest collection of pink known to man. When I was in 6th grade, I could wear a different color pink polish on a daily basis. So I did this and my nails turned yellow. Not a good idea.

In 7th grade, I had a party in the spring and my mother bought a pack of nail polish for party favors. They were all pink based of course. That summer, I bought white nail polish. My mom was rather leary of this, as I remember, nails are not naturally white (nor are holes in ones ears....hence why I didn't get my ears pierced till I was 14 and my mother didn't take me, my aunt did.) But I had white nail polish. I thought I was the coolest person in the world with white nail polish. Then one day, I discovered I could DYE the nail polish. With food coloring.

And then I had blue nail polish. It was light blue, it was powdery blue, it was gorgeous.

And I made a huge mess and got in trouble. But I had blue nail polish! And after this, I made purple, green, yellow, etc. And my mother lost control of my nail polish buying. Sometimes she'd put her two cents in (like when I wanted mocha, she told me brown sugar would suit my coloring better and she was right), but I had blues, greens, purples, corals, yellows, golds, oranges, etc. My mother even bought me orange nail polish once, to go with this orange outfit I had going for myself when I was 16.

By the time I left for college, I had over 100 bottles of various polishes. And I hadn't purged any since I was 13. So I purged. And went merrily on way to college to amass another collection.

I always seem to end up with the same colors though, various shades of pink and red. Seriously, I believe I have bought over my life time every shade offered by L'Oreal, Revlon and Maybelline. And shades of purple. Every time we move now, I go through my collection and purge out old shades and end up with a collection of very similar colors.

This past time, I tossed out almost everything except my favs and the OPI polishes I had. I had put my faith in OPI top coat and had branched out into OPI polish. I hadn't noticed much of a different between my beloved Revlon and OPI, in all honesty. My nails chipped at the same rate.

Also, as I got older, I didn't really wear much nail polish. At my first job, I did a lot of typing, so my nail polish never held up. After I was married, I didn't wear it often because my nails just seemed to chip more. So I only wore polish on my toes. In the Dirt Hole, my toes finally began to peel, gross I know. But they were so gross looking, I continued to put polish on them. Once I moved back to Chicago, I stopped wearing polish all together.

Until one day I was standing in Target, staring at the polishes. I bought some from Revlon, bright colors. The next day, I went back because my OPI top coat didn't open any more (it almost always would get stuck and only Pilot Boy could get it open). I was standing in front of the OPI section at Target. I picked up the OPI and stared at it. I then thought, "The NICOLE is cheaper. and made by OPI." So I picked it up. Then I saw it.

Randomly sitting in the almost empty stand of OPI and NICOLE polish: And Essie bottle.

I stared at it. I had heard all about Essie. I had seen a story on it on Sunday Morning. I had been reading By Hillary and knew all about it from there. I also knew that she swore the better the brand, the better the polish. Money mattered in nail polish. I stared at the Essie bottle. It was red. They only had red. It was the shade of red that looked great on me. I picked it up. It was the only bottle there. I wondered how it had gotten there, but it was there and I was the customer so I was buying it.

I thought maybe they wouldn't let me buy it, but they did. And then I wore it. And it was amazing! I was a convert to pricey polish.

When I arrived here I was pleased to see the Target carried a wide array of Essie polish. Then I found out about Seche Vite top coat. I wanted it. Badly. But no where around me carried it. So, I was like, "Maybe Target will restock the Essie supply and they'll have a top coat or something? Because I want to wear nail polish again. I'm getting my nails back in shape."

So I did, I bought some calcium gel stuff and began wearing that. Then, yesterday, I was in Target. Staring at the Essie colors they had. They were all various shade of pink and reds. Not what I wanted, but I had gotten some blues and green from Sephora with my last order, so I was just looking for a new top coat. I picked up the Essie top coat and was about to leave when I saw it. Sitting, all alone, a single bottle of seche vite. Seriously, just like the first bottle of Essie I had seen at Target, this bottle of seche vite top coat was just alone. The only bottle.

I grabbed it and ran.

I painted my nails while watching the Gilmore Girls. And they are lovely. They haven't chipped yet and they dried at top speed. They are lovely. I want more pricey nail polish, but tragically do not live in an area that it is readily available. But I'll get my mits on it one way or another.

No comments: