30 December 2008

and so that was christmas...

Christmas in the dirt hole was a rather surreal experience. For one, it was almost 80 degrees that day and I had the flu, so I was just uncomfortable all day long. It was only my husband, myself and the dog. The dog got a new toy (a bone filled with something smelly) that kept her attention almost all day long. She adored the bone to no end.

Most of our presents were practical presents. We got more of our china (one more place setting, and a group of soup bowls) and more wine glasses. I think we have 12 wine glasses. The fancy ones. We finally have every day ones, as my husband got me the stemless wineglasses I wanted. We got three DVDs (would have been four, but my brother and I were on the same wavelength and got my husband the same DVD...) and two games. It was a good haul, which got better the day after when the clothes arrived. My husbands dad and step mom gave us clothes! (and in the case of my husband shoes).

I adore clothes. I love getting clothes as presents. When I was a kid, I liked getting clothes, but they weren't the same as toys. However, about the time I was in fifth grade, I liked getting clothes. I just did not seem to get the clothes I wanted. My mom didn't seem to be able to get me stuff I'd wear. In fifth grade she gave me a pair of jeans, which I remember I was excited about until I put them on. I HAD HUGE HIPS! I know, why is an twelve year old thinking that way. I know I didn't have huge hips now. I bet they were tiny. But standing on my bed looking at myself in the mirror above my dresser, I was thinking I had huge hips. I all ready thought I had fat legs (I had thought this for a long time, I do not remember when it really started, but I do remember instances when I'd look at other girls my age and think, "Wow, they have really skinny legs. Mine are huge.") Thus, my body image issues began at who knows when, but I can pin point my feelings of huge hips to that moment on Christmas morning. I do not remember if I ever wore the jeans after that, but that was the last time my mom gave me clothes for Christmas. I never got clothes from her again as far as I can remember until I was in college and she gave me work out clothes for my 22 birthday. Man was I excited. I needed new pants to work out in and there they were, perfect workout pants.

I always hoped my family would get me clothes for Christmas, even after the wide hip jeans. They never really did until my grandma started getting me sweaters for Christmas after I was too old for toys and she had no idea what to get me. So, my dad said, "Uh, you can get her a sweater? She wears a size small." And so, I began to get sweaters. I love each one she got me. They were never exactly what I would have gotten, but I realized I loved each one. Freshman year of college she got me a purple sweater (I had to exchange it as she got the wrong size) and I wore it quite a bit. The next year she got me the softest, Grey sweat shirt. I still have it, even if the sleeves are too small for my liking. And the last two items have been pink sweaters. Which I would love to wear, but I live in a dirt hole that is not really cold enough for nice sweaters.

When I started dating my husband, the first Christmas I got a green, fleece jacket from his dad and step mom. The next Christmas (we were married) I got a pearl necklace (so lovely) and this year, I GOT CLOTHES! I WAS LIKE OMG THERE ARE CLOTHES IN HERE FROM THE GAP! I LOVE THESE CLOTHES! And they all FIT! Though, the best was a shirt not from the gap that said "I write." on the front and then on the back listed a the top five things writers hate to hear when they tell people they write. I've heard almost all of them and hate them all equally.

No comments: