18 December 2008

the gift of giving

I used to think I was really good at giving gifts. I used to walk into a store and wander around and would find something PERFECT for the person I was looking for. I'd buy it without much thought, wrap it up in the most lovely way and give it with a glowing face.

Then I went to Scotland. I went to Scotland and had this "quasi" boy like friend like person. I had to buy this "quasi" boy like friend like person a birthday present. I realized at this moment I had no clue who this boy really was or what he liked (past the part where I thought he might like me to the point where he would sometimes speak to me.) I searched Glasgow for something "Scottish" to give him and failed horridly at finding ANYTHING. He ended up getting a Burberry plaid tie (I adore Burberry plaid) and a hat I bought for three pounds that said SCOTLAND on it. Horrid gift. I was utterly embarassed the moment I mailed it off and worried about it for weeks. I am still embarassed about it. Mostly because of what occured later and how now I wish I had not sent that tie to him. He, I just know, failed to realize my love for plaid and more than likely never wore the tie or hat.

Later, I had to buy a Christmas present for the guy I hooked up with while in Scotland. I knew this guy better than the "quasi" boy, yet I was at a loss on what to get him. With the exception of one, all the other "guys" I had dated had been so easy to get something for. The best gift ever, I gave to the guy I dated for almost two years in high school. It was the first birthday I knew him for and I got him a tape recorder and a blue notebook. He had mentioned to me he wanted a tape recorder to record his idea for rapes. Thus, I gave him items to achieve his dream. I am serious that is the best gift I've managed to give. There have been a few moments of clarity like that since then, but none as great at that. I gave the guy in Scotland a package of Mars Bars wrapped in my baby blanket (which was about the size of a box, which actually replaced my real baby blanket that my MOM THREW AWAY). The baby blanket story had been told to this boy and he was the first person I had told the whole thing to who did not laugh at me and understood. (My husband understood as well and never made fun of me, and still lets me wrap myself up in the blanket that replaced the lost blanket...as I gave it to the Scotland boy (who wasn't scottish but that's another story).) Anyway, while I was in Scotland I felt that I did not need a blanket any more, so I gave it away. Only after I came home I realized I did need a blanket, thus one I bought in Scotland to keep warm (which was a baby blanket, but it was fuzzy, soft and cheaper than regular people blankets, give me a break) became the blanket I use to this day.

I digress, I suck at giving gifts. My poor husband has suffered at the hands of my horrid gift giving for years. I've given him a blanket. I've given him sweaters. I've given him socks and undershirts. I gave him kitchen utensils for our anniversary. My mom usually tells me what to get for our family (she is a master gift giver) and my husband's family usually gets what ever thing I decide to make for the year. Last year they all got candles. Everyone got a candle and stand I made from stuff from the craft store. I was going to make photo collages for this christmas, but I realized I'd never get it done because I was lazy, so I just bought stuff at random really.

Gift givin would be easier if I was buying for myself. I found a billion things I'd like today while Christmas shopping (well, really birthday shopping for husband).

At least I can wrap to some degree. Though I think the gift for my dad got damaged by the dog.

Oh yes, I got a dog by the way. More on her later. Its December. Christmas time.

No comments: