22 December 2008

Dog for the Holidays

Two weeks ago, my husband and I drove the three hours to the biggest city within a stone's throw of the dirt hole to obtain a dog. I decided about three months ago, I wanted a dog. Actually, it was back last spring when I was alone for four weeks (or six?) and was paranoid out of my mind and realized yet again, I hate being alone. Well, for long extended peroids of time, on occasions I need "me" time and time to do my own thing. (I had about a year of my life where I had NO ME TIME and after I was on my own again, I was like, Dude, I wasted a year of my life not doing what I wanted...)

Anyways, we got up before the sun was fully up, and drove into the rising sun to obtain Basil Dog. I was overwhelmed at the dog adoption fair (once we found it) as there were so many people and not that many dogs. There were less the type of dog I wanted: a small lap dog. My husband wanted a rottweiler, which I had no interest in having. Anyways, we were wondering around and he found a dog that looked like a mini rottweiler but was pending adotpion. Why would you bring a pending adoption dog to an adoption fair. We wandered a bit more till we found a less crowded tent and another dog that looked like a mini rottweiler. We found out she was a beagle mix of some sort (later we decided she was a beagle/terrier/something else mix) and we paid for her and attempted to bring her home.

She didn't want to leave and my husband carried her to the car. She was too large for the crate I had bought (if I had gotten what I truely wanted, it would have been fine), so she just lay in the back seat of the racing station wagon (its a Subaru Impreza hatch back, better known as the racing station wagon). She was silent on the way home, didn't want to get out of the car and seemed still unsure about us and life in general. She was more playful once in the house and turned into the puppy she is (the lady we got her from thought she was about 10 months). Two weeks later, she is truely a puppy. She eats foam ear plugs, pin cushions and other things. She likes to eat my hand off while I try to reward train her.

She has yet to go after the Christmas tree or the presents, but everything else seems to be fair game. She used to understand the table in the family room was off limits, but as of yesterday, she's gone after anything on the table. She licked clean several mugs of hot choclate and tea. She drank my water off the table, and that was where she found the pin cushion that I had forgotten to put away after making a pillow for her to lay on. For the first week, I could leave her unattented while I was in the study working or in the bathroom showering. Not so much as of last Friday. She's pushing her boundries now.

This morning she got overly exicted upon the arrival of my husband and two of his fellow wanna be pilots. (They will achieve their goal of being pilots, they just aren't "pilots" yet.) She peed on the floor at the sight of D. Seriously. I mean, yeah she hadn't gone yet this morning, but I was sound asleep and suddenly I hear, "Uh, Basil Dog peed on the carpet because she was excited to see D." That was what woke me up this morning, the need to clean up pee. Lovely. After this joy to see D, she decided she still didn't like D. I'm not sure why? Because he doesn't smell like a dog? She likes our other friends who have two dogs. She seems freaked out by D. No idea why.

Freak.

No comments: