31 August 2008

Laughing is good

Another book review! Finally!

I'm a huge fan of Sophie Kinsella. I can say I own every book with that name as the author. And I have read each one a few times. I like the way she rights. It flows nicely and keeps you entertained like you are listening to some inner monologue that just keeps getting more ridiculous.

Her latest book, Remember Me, is about a woman who looses the last three years of her life. She crashes her flashy car and BAM! The last three years are earased and she goes back to the days when she wore cheap clothes and had girlfriends who went clubbing. However, that is not who she is at all at the current point in time. She is uber bitch boss. The journey the main character takes is intresting and funny. The subject matter is not heavy, but it is a good escape from reality.

I read this book right after I had finished my first (and only so far) read through of Breaking Dawn. The two books are VERY different. One: the main characters. Bella annoys me to no end and I have no reason to like her. Lexi (main character in Remember Me) is likeable right away. She is just like you or me. She has redeemable qualities. You can RELATE TO HER! I do not know about you, but I enjoy reading books that I can RELATE to the main character, or at least understand why they are how they are. Kinsella is pretty darn good at creating characters people can relate to (even by the title of her books, my mom shouted once "When will this woman stop writing books about you?") It has been awhile since I had read a Kinsella book, but after reading Remember Me I remembered why I enjoyed her books so much: they are amusing.

On a side note, I wrote a short story a long while back titled Remember Me! It has no relation to the book at all, as the character has not lost her memory and must remember herself. She is hoping rather hoplessly that someone will remember she exists and will call her while listening to Eminem scream loudly REMEMBER ME! I currently do not remember which song that Eminem screams that a few times over and over, but he did. He seemed to really want us to remember him (like anyone could forget...), just like the character telling her story wanted to be remembered. She was not remembered and remained where she was curled up in bed.

I am very happy that the book Remember Me did not end that way as if it had, it would not have been a very good book

No comments: