08 August 2008

Stalking the Morning After


I have been stalking the Morning After Mini bag by Rebecca Minkoff for about nine months now. I used to only stalk the bag online at her site, waiting for her to post new colors of the bag, wistfully thinking one might go one sale. Living in a dirt hole has given me a lot of time on my hands, so I have move past stalking the bag only on the designer's website.

Last week I went onto the Purse Blog Forum looking for information on the Bokier bags at Target and stumbled upon the tag for Rebecca Minkoff bags and found sites selling the bags. These sites have sales. The site I've taken to stalking on a daily basis now is Luna Boston, which has a new bag I've fallen for: The Mini Nikki. I always liked the Nikki bag, a classic hobo type of bag, but between the $600 price tag and the fact it looks HUGE, I wrote it off. But this mini! It seems to be the right size...

Not that I have the funds to be buying any purse over twenty bucks currently. I have been reading The Purse Blog for awhile now. At first I began reading it because I was researching Hermes bags for no reason other than I was bored and I liked to tell my husband I wanted one while he told me he wanted an expensive car. At some point I just took to reading the blog, as it fascinated me to no end. How did this writer do all this research on new purses, work, and still buy tons of handbags over the 1000 dollar mark? I still have no answer to that question and I am still amazed when she lists off the bags she has ordered/bought. I thought I was hot stuff when I bought my first Coach purse and wallet after I got my first 'real person' job. It was only after I had bought these two item did I realize that everyone and their mom has Coach bags and it did not make me special in any sense of the word. I had wanted it as a status mark: I had made it now! I owned a 300 dollar purse!

Whatever. Everyone from high school kids to grandma's own Coach purses. I needed something different. Thus, why I zeroed in on the Morning After Mini. It was only 200 more than I paid for that first stupid Coach purse. And not everyone I knew carried one.

In the dirt hole I've only seen Coach bags, or LV logo bags or knock offs of either two. No one carries a RM bag here.

I have realized I will not be owning one any time soon in the dirt hole. And yet the prospect of owning one fascinates me to no end. These people who spend a small fortune on handbags in a year fascinate me. And thus, I will continue reading about the newest Burberry bag or about how wonderfully soft and buttery leather is on a bag that I have never heard of. I will never join these people in owning pricey purses. I actually have recently realize I hate carrying a purse and wish my wallet had a chain or something so I did not actually need to carry a purse. I judge people by their purses and I always feel I do not have one to match with how I want to be judge, because I am a deep repressed cheap skate...I know people who will find that hard to believe, but alas, I am. I almost had a heart attack when I bought the Coach purse over two years ago or so, and I still sit there thinking, "God, did I spend that much on a purse? I am insane?"

And yet, now I dream of a more expensive one. But I am older and wiser now, thus I might not cave and believe I need it. I am insane. It happens to the best of us.

No comments: