29 August 2008

let the rain fall down...


It is raining in the dirt hole. Truly, utterly raining. The street turned to a rapid flowing river, the back yard into a lake, and the sidewalk a quickly flowing creek. The roof turned into a waterfall and the driveway into a downhill stream.

Worst of all, I think the poor plants have drown. Tragic. I kinda liked the plants.

Now, I love rain. I love all sorts of rain. Okay, I'll be honest, I adore bad weather (as long as I do not have to go out in it too much). I think my love affair with bad weather started in Scotland, where it rains like every single day. All sorts of rain. Rain that comes up, rain from the side, rain that seems to just hang in the air, dry rain, wet rain, super wet rain, rain that drizzles, rain that spatters and so much more. Almost no day was the same when it came to rain. After I returned to the USA, I missed the constant bad weather, I felt a need for rain. I needed rain storms, I needed thunder storms, I needed massive amounts of water to fall on my head that came out of a cloud not a shower head. It was a strange need, but I needed it.

Rainy days in college meant puddle jumping. Rainy days meant a lot of muddle people, wet curly hair and umbrellas. Rainy days also meant that I could sit by my huge window with a hot cuppa tea and stare at these muddy people. Tea makes you feel warm and fuzzy when you curl up next to a big window and watch it rain and storm. Tea is the element needed in order to really enjoy rain storms.

Today, I have only had one cuppa tea. I had it this morning with breakfast. I have only had one cuppa tea for a few reasons. 1) we're out of good British tea and 2) we're out of milk and 3) here in dirt land, one is hard pressed to find a jar of set honey (known in the US of A as whipped honey). Tragically, since arriving back in these lands, I have not had a real cuppa tea, just subs for the real thing. Living with the Lipton tea in the house now, I have not felt the need to have one...also, I have been paranoid all day the house will flood and I will be more miserable then my cold addled mind can handle.

Now, why am I paranoid the house will flood? By my standards it has not rained all that much today. However, by dirt hole standards we just had the rain of all rains. There are no major drains here, no place for all this water to run, so it just sort of flows all over, builds its lakes and streams everywhere. I used to live in a ditch. The ditch had better drainage than living on this "hill" I currently reside on. However, after seven hours of water falling out of the sky, the flow of water down the street has stopped and the lake in the backyard is slowly going elsewhere. Who knows, tomorrow the water might all evaporate into the nether world and leave me forever.

In all honesty, I worst fear is to live somewhere that gets no rain storms. I know its strange, but I feel like every now and then I need them. It is like that garbage song, "I'm Only Happy When It Rains." Its odd, but its true. I like rain, I like cold weather. I miss sweaters, I miss rain coats, I miss fuzzy hats.

At least it rained a lot today. I might not get to wear that fuzzy sweater here, but at least I know it does sometimes rain.

No comments: