22 February 2009

like sands through an hour glass

Recently, almost every time I sign into Facebook, I get a round of names popping out at me from the past. Names I have not thought about in years, names that would never occur to me on a daily basis, or even a yearly basis.

There's a girl I had known since second grade when she appeared and became the best friend of a girl named Amy and they wore little, high heeled granny boots. I remember these boots clearly as day, as I wanted a pair quite badly but my mother said, "Little girls do not wear heels!" I had to settle for boots that had a heel, but not a high heel that made the clack, clack noise I wanted. Nor did my boots look Victorian, they look like boots. They were a poor, cheap let down from the granny boots this girl had. This was the same girl, many years later who had whispered conversations near by me about something so person I couldn't figure out why she was talking about it with someone in school and within hearing distance of me. The next year she had a total hissy fit and refused to speak to her "best guy friend" who sat next to me in English because he had made some sort of lude crack about her and her 'secret'. Two days later she had another whispered conversation with him, while I continued to sit next to him. I heard every single freaking word she had said.

I don't think she wanted me to know. But I do know. When one is writing, they can still hear.

By this point, I had realized that people thought I couldn't hear when I was writing. I could pretty much hear while I was writing, as I am one of those people who can do two things at once when I want to. By my senior year I was pretty sure I could write my stories and pay attention in class if need be. I usually would put away that stuff thought out of resecpt for the teachers. They had enough issues, I figured I'd remain the quiet, modle student people thought I was.

I alwasy knew more than most people figured I would know about the people at our school. Random bits of information keep popping into my head as these names keep popping up on the News Feed each time I sign into Facebook. I am also surprised by the amount of people my age who have children. As I told my husband last night, "I can bearly handle having a dog. I can't imgaine having two kids by now." He stared at me and made some off hand comment about kids that truely would only make sense if you knew him.

Each person, as their name pops up, I tend to click on their picture to see what it looks like. The profile picture tells me quite a bit. I can tell the high flying, still either single or dating types to the ones that have families and kids running around. The ones that still enjoy a good party, and the ones that would rather hug a kid. When I first joined Facebook, I remember scrolling through the people who graduated from high school with me in a search and being suprirsed when I saw there were people who were all ready married. Now that I'm married, I get shocked when they have kids. I guess this will only stop once I have a kid. Which won't be for awhile. As stated before, I can bearly handle having a dog.

Who is currently sitting in the doorway staring at me.

No comments: