06 March 2009

Failing to truely understand

Well, I've been rather busy of late, hence no update. I missed the year anniversary of Conrad Black heading to prison, 1 March I believe. I was working in St. Louis at the time and hungrily ate up every news article I could find online about Black going to prison.

Anyways, he is still in jail, with nothing to do except defend his beloved FDR and the New Deal. Now, I know I did not write a biography on the man, I am no FDR scholar, but I know that the New Deal did not get the US economy out of depression. Nothing really that FDR did before WWII "got the economy out of depression." He brilliant did give the appearance the economy was turning around. He poured money in through the New Deal, but what got the economy out of its rut was, in fact, the United States entering WWII. Shipping off every able body man to war (paying him to fight) and employing everyone else to build stuff for this war was what jumped the economy back onto the tracks and set it off and running again, until it crashed into another wall at some point.

Before the country entered WWII, the unemployment rate continued to go sky high, people were still loosing their jobs. The New Deal did nothing to change this in reality, it actually made it worse because it made it more expensive for companies to hire people. The draft was what caused the employment rate to decline. The New Deal was a government thing, the projects were government sponsered and thus did nothing for the private sector. Is this country built on the public sector? Huh? No. Its more built on the private sector. And the private sector continued to suffere and die a slow death of failing under the New Deal.

This is something, I guess, Mr. Black has failed to realize. He has bought into the wonderful news reels of the era that basically are propganda for the New Deal and its so called success. I guess he's living in La La Land in jail. It must be nice. I used to live in La La as well, when I was about 8.

No comments: