10 February 2009

Living through a dust bowl

About 6.30 it got oddly dark outside. At first, being a Midwesterner, I thought it was raining. Quickly, I remembered I lived in a dirt hole and it doesn't rain in dirt holes. I went to the window and gazed out and my husband said, "Wow, look at all that dust."

The sky was black. Seriously, black with dirt. The wind was gusting, things were blowing and it was dark. I took a few videos, but they failed to encompass the wrath of the dust storm. My husband turned on the weather channel and it claimed it was 80 degrees and sunny outside.

It was no such thing. Per the other weather sight my husband uses, it said the winds were 45 mph or higher and visibility was less than a mile. By this point, it was pitch black outside and it seriously sounded like a thunder storm outside. The power flickered off only once so far, but we'll see. During a bright, sunlight day we lost power (only on our street) for over four hours. It sucked and ruined by day. I'm holding my breath.

In other news, our dog has worms. We have no idea where she got them as I am positive she did not have them before we left her for the weekend, as I have a habit of watching the dog poop and never saw anything worm like before. Since this discovery of worms, I've seen worms in her poop several times. I never saw anything like them before. It is gross beyond all known reason. Since giving her the over the counter meds for worms, she's been super tired and lazy. I am not sure if it is the drugs or the worms doing this to her, but I guess before the meds, she was a happy puppy, dopy grinning and playing with the other dogs she was staying with. Since she got home she's been sleepy, jumping on the door constantly to go out. And she almost always goes to the bathroom when we take her out. Sick puppy. I got her a gentle leader to aid in walking her, but she's been so tired, we haven't gone on long walks. I did a ten minute training session with her today with it and after I started feeding her food, she stopped pawing at her face and walked with me. We're getting there slowly.

Tomorrow, my husband graduates part one of his training. I have no idea what to wear.

No comments: