24 March 2011

Spring Trends

Most of my life I only paid half attention to trends. Mostly because I have always known what I liked and did not liked and most trends actually annoyed me.

Things I like:

Vests (any kind)
Wide legged pants
Wedges
Sweaters with white collared shirts
Plaid
Argyle
Brown eye makeup
Nude lips
Bright colors on nails
Silver jewlery
Pearls
Hoop earings
Sunglasses

Things I do not like:
high rise pants
skinny, super low rise jeans
Stilettos (gasp)
super low rise pants
short shirts (belly bearing tops)
straight leg pants
Black eye makeup
Heavy eye makeup
Super bright blush
Nude nail polish
Gold jewerly
Bright lipsticks

I don't know what it is about this spring, but I've been paying a little attention to trends. Several trends this spring I kinda dig. These trends are:

Orange lips
Wide leg pants (Bell bottom type jeans!)
Wedges
Coral

Where did I get this information? Piperlime and Sephora

I have bought orange lip gloss (D20) and orange lipstick (Siren). I was kind of shocked how well orange worked on me as I have always steered clear of bold lip choices. I have never been able to pull off any sort of bold lipstick, so I just don't like it for the most part.

When I noticed the Gap was carrying these pants, I almost had a heart attack. For months I've been looking for a wide leg flare to replace my beloved Levi's. However, these pants and I have a few issues. One: The regulars are two inches too long to wear with heels. Two: The petites are too short to wear with shoes. Three: they shrink length wise in the washer, but not enough to make a difference in the regulars, but do make a huge difference in the petites.  Four: They cannot hold their shape up top. They only make it through two days of wear before they begin to no longer hug one in the right places. Five: They are a higher rise, and it doesn't stay up very well after they start loosing their grip. The rise also doesn't allow for belt wearing very easily and when you wear a longer top, you can always see the top of the pants.

And yes, I do own two pairs of these pants. One in regulars one in petites. I first ordered the petites, as the regulars were swimming on me. I was in love with the pants when I first got them. I wore them for three days before I figured I needed to wash them.

It was down hill from there.

I cold water washed, then let them air dry. They were super slouchy in the butt after this. So, I decided to dry them on low in teh dryer. Still slouchy in the butt. So, next time I washed them without any fabric softener and dried them as I would normally. This was when I realized they had shrunk a lot. They were a little long when I first got them, as in they were perfect to wear with my winter boots. Once I had washed them three times, they were way too short and looked dumb. Thus, I can only wear these pants in the warmer months here with flip flops and flats. Very flat flats. So, I ordered a pair of regulars. Because I REALLY WANTED THESE PANTS TO WORK.

I hemmed the regulars so they are fine in the leg now. However, they still go all slouchy in the butt after two or three wears. THIS IS NOT GOOD. I think its the mixture of spandex and cotton on the jeans. I don't know why The Gap feels like they need 2% spandex in the pants. 1% is pushing it I think. My VS jeans have 1% spandex and that is fine. They are still thick and jean like. I have up trying to find jeans without spandex awhile ago, but it still annoys me.

But, I am so happy to see wide legged pants back! I wasn't really feeling the whole skinny jean thing. Granted I do own a few pairs of them, mostly to wear with my knee high boots. I do like that look, but I think my legs look funky in skinny jeans with flats or just heels.

I have always loved wedges. I have not bought any wedges this season though. I have a pair of wedge heels (the most comfortable heels I own. They are amazing and I got them from Sears). I also have two pairs of wedge sandals that I got in Del Rio by Aerosoles. They are super comfortable too.

I love the color coral. I was over the moon when I saw it being carried this season. I also happen to look pretty good in coral. I even bought coral lipstick.

No comments: