08 March 2011

Crumble

How do make a kick ass crumble:

Ingredients:

Find some fruit to fill a small glass baking pan. Does not truly matter what fruit you use. Apples, pears, blueberries, strawberries...anything works except maybe oranges. Or a grapefruit. I tend to use apples and rhubarb when it randomly appears in my backyard. Not together, apples and rhubarb, but separately.  Today, I'm going to use Apples and Blueberries.
1/2 stick of butter (doesn't matter what sort of butter. I use the fake stuff because it's cheap and "better" for you. Might need more butter if the topping is too dry.)
Spices (just dump these on to your liking and use whatever you think goes with your fruit.)
1/2 box of yellow cake mix.
Oatmeal (will just sprinkle to your liking)


1. Okay, so find some fruit.
(I found Apples and Blueberries.)

2. Preheat the oven to 350. Find glass baking dish.

3. Locate a knife and cutting board. Cut up fruit if needed.
(I cut up the apple. I did not cut the blueberries.)

4. Toss everything into a glass dish (size 9X9 or something along that).

5. Sprinkle said fruit in dish with some sort of spices (could use cinnamon, ginger, cloves, cardamon, all spice, etc.)
(I put ginger and cardamon all over my fruit.)

6. Find the oatmeal and sprinkle over the top of the fruit.

7. Cut a stick of butter in half. Get a microwave safe mixing bowl and put the butter in it. Put it bowl and butter into the microwave. (Soften the butter. Don't MELT IT. 10 or 15 seconds works.)

8. Dump half the box of cake mix onto softened butter.

9. Dump some more spices into the cake mix. If you want, add some vanilla.

10. Find a fork (Forks are the best) and mix together the cake mix and butter. If you MELT butter, this step becomes kind of...off. Too much melted butter will result in a cake mix like substance, not the crumbly mixture you want. Doesn't matter, as it all tastes the same. But I find its easier to work with the crumbly stuff. If it's too dry, add more melted butter. JUST A LITTLE. Not too much, or you'll end up with cake mix.

11. After it's mixed together, lick the fork. Put fork in dishwasher or wherever you store dirty dishes.

12. Using your hands, pick up clumps of cake mixture and crumble over the oats and fruit.

13. After the topping is on, add some more oatmeal.

14.  Stick it into the preheated oven. Bake until the fruit is bubbling and the topping looks baked. Usually this takes roughly about 30 to 35 minutes, depending on how lame ones oven is.

And WHALA. You have a yummy desert. Or fruit product to eat.

And this is why Martha Stewart and I do not get along. When I make this it always turns out prefect because I just DUMP and there is little measuring. The only thing I "measure" is the butter. But only because I cut it in half where it tells me the half point is located. I eye ball everything else.

Update on GET YOUR BUTT IN GEAR:


Day Eight: Took day off.

Day Nine: Hiked. For how long, I do not know. For how far, I do not know. But we hiked through the Chugack Mountains around the Hillside Trail System or something. It was sunny and hot. Yeah, you read that right: SUNNY AND HOT. It was like 28 degrees down in Anchorage, but up on the sunny mountain it was almost 40 degrees. Except in the shade. But when we got back in our car it was 39 degrees. And we were both only wearing fleeces. And Basil was HOT. Black puppy in the boiling sun. But she was a happy hot puppy. She LOVES snow and walking and running, so she was thrilled. Plus, she's getting a lot better about meeting other dogs on the trails. She no longer gets so excited she freaks the other dogs out. She always says HI, but doesn't say HI MY NAME IS BASIL LOVE ME PLAY WITH ME LOVE ME PLAY WITH ME LOVE ME HI MY NAME IS BASIL! I AM A PUPPY!

Like the other dogs couldn't tell.

Day Ten: Did 20 minutes of walking.

Day 11: Will do another 20 minutes of walking.

And so ends the update.

No comments: