05 August 2010

How I became an Alaskan

I went to the DMV and got a new license. I also changed the color of my eyes, so things are totally cool now.

I am from Chicagoland and I hate DMVs with a flaming passion. Going to the DMV means getting up at the crack of dawn, standing in line waiting for it to open, waiting in line inside the building and then waiting in chairs, then more lines, more chairs and four hours later you might leave with what you want. It took almost 6 hours to get my license the first time when I was 16. When I turned 21, I was in Scotland, so when I got home, I got up early (it was easy, I had been up since about 3 am) and stood in line and was in and our in an hour. After I got married, my parents gave me "my car" and we were in there for only maybe an hour to get plates. We figured that trip would be a 4 hours trip. People fear the DMVs so much in Illinois, they started a sticker program to renew license if you're a good boy or girl.

The only time I got quick treatment in Illinois was when I hunted down the DMV in Belleville, IL. The longest treatment was to get plates for the stupid monstrosity we drove up here.

The only other state I ventured to the DMV was Indiana and I didn't clock how long I was there, I just knew it was rather painless. I didn't have to do anything. I do not belong to Indiana, I have only ever belonged to Illinois.

Till today. I joined Alaska. And, while it did take quite awhile, and there were forms, the forms were not confusing. Which is a huge plus in my book, as I hate forms that make no sense (Illinois has a few of them.) Anyways, I got a new license and we got the car plated. If we were just in there got get new licesnes, the process would not have been too long. If the car we got plated had been new or not a rebuild, that process would have been REALLY fast. All in all, it was a pretty good experience.

Then the sun came out.

No comments: