09 October 2009

Books in Ten Sentances or Less

1. The Other Boyln Girl, by Phillipa Gregory - This book was awesome. I enjoyed the characters and how Mary evolved throughout the book. I liked how the book hinted at scandal and for the first time a book I liked ended when I felt it should end. I always had a mixed perception of who Ann Boyln was and I felt this book gave her a portrayal that was believable.

2. The Boyln Inheritance, by Phillipa Gregory - This book did not hold my attention as The Other Boyln Girl, but it was interesting nonetheless. I did find the take on the two queens, Anne of Cleves and Katherine Howard interesting. However, the character that was truly interesting was Jane Boyln, as what she did for the "family" and her own hide were what really drove the book. It angering the rate at which the Howard and Boyln families were willing to sacrifice its women in their quest to be related to a king.

3. The Virgin Queen, by Phillipa Gregory - I went on a Gregory kick. This book was good for it investigated and fictionalized the events between Lady Dudley and Lord Dudley. I liked how the twists in the book happened and that poor Amy was the only one never plotting and all she wanted was a simple life, yet even when she was resigned to have one, she could not for the situation she found herself in did not allow it because she was a women. Also, it is always nice to see the loser guy screwed over in the end by a woman.

4. Kane and Able by Jeffery Archer - AWESOME BOOK! It is a huge book, but totally awesome. The book follows two very boys and their journeys to become life enemies. One boy leads a very tragic life, but comes out stronger for it, while the other lives a privileged life, but it is still stained with tragedy. The book follows them as their paths cross and spite leads one to charge the other with the death of his friend, leading to a life long grudge fest that only ends when one dies, then the other finds out how he really helped him out and become the rich man he became. It is a really great book, especially if you like books told from two points of view and over long periods of time.

5. Twenties Girl by Sophia Kinsella - While I adore Kinsella for all she is and writes, this book did not hold my interest like her other books. I am not sure if I simply wasn't in the right mind set or wasn't in for the predictable nature of chick lit, but something wasn't right. The premise of the story, ghoast haunts down on her luck girl, seemed great when I read the jacket cover, but I just did not fall in love with the book as I have done with all Kinsella's other book. I will read it again, as maybe I am just all read out a the moment?

6. Baby Proof by Emily Griffin - Pretty good book. Was an interesting concept, as the fact the lead female character doesnt' want a child leads to a divorce from her husband. The book deals with self discovery through the fact everyone around her wants kids, but she knows she doesn't want one in the least. Even as she explores the reasons she doesn't' want a child of her own, she comes to realize that her love for her ex-husband trumps the fact she is afraid to have a child of her own. Good book and good topic to explore in a chick lit book I thought.

2 comments:

Claire said...

Very interested in Jeffrey Archer now. Hmm.

noticed you haven't updated your LJ for a good long while, so I thought I'd see if you were posting here.

I guess you've disappeared off the face of the planet again. Oh, well. :( I'll miss you.

What are the options on how to get to Alaska?

ireland scott said...

I haven't had much to say lately, I guess. I've been busy I guess. Plus not much is going on...that and Jess is slow, so I don't use him too much. I've started LJ posts a few times, but nothing comes of them.

Options to Alaska are: driving or flying.