06 August 2009

my dog eats pillows

Basil Dog seems to like to chew on pillows.

And not just any pillows, mind you, they must be ones she sleeps on in her crate. Outside of the crate, she has no desire to chew on pillows and un-stuff them.

She loves to un-stuff dog toys, but any pillow that goes on the floor or on the couch, she won't touch until it goes to live in her crate. Anything in her crate is fair game. She's chewed up rugs, door mats, and finally pillows.

I used to make her pillows. I used to think it was easier to make them and stuff them myself. She'd chew the corner off and then pull out the stuffing, I'd restuff it, sew it and wash it. After she would decimate the pillow right after I fixed it, she went a few nights with no pillow. She cried, whined and was basically a pain. So I bought her a 9 dollar crate pad at Walmart. She sure as hell did not like that too much, but she never tried to unstuff it.

I bought anti-chew spray and doused it in that. She did not want to go in her crate. She loves her crate usually, she is almost always in there sleeping if she's not staring out the window. Almost like clock work at nine pm, she is in there asleep. After we take her out at night, all we have to say is, "Go to bed, Basil" and she's in there, curled up asleep.

But not with that crate pad. She hated that thing. So, because I am a sucker for my dog, I went to Ross and spent an hour staring at pillows. Most were flimsy and I knew she'd chew right through. Finally, I settled for a 7 dollar circual pillow that was too small for Basil Dog, but was made out of the toughest material Ross was offering.

I can't remember how many months ago I bought that pillow, but the fact it was cicular seemed to stop the Master of Pillow Destruction. I always tried to remember to put her bone or something in with her at night to prevent the temptation to unstuff, but I guess she doesn't care. The bone was in there last night with her and she chose to decimate the pillow.

I did not notice when I first let her out, but at some point in the morning, I noticed green stuffing everywhere. I found her pillow with a huge hole in it and the plastic tag that was the name of the brand was in pieces all over the crate. I yelled at her, took the pillow out and brandished it in her face. Her ears fell, and she went into the crate. (When you yell BAD DOG at her she goes to her crate for timeout. I used to have to drag her there, but recently I simply yell BAD DOG and she goes. and looks pathedic while she sit there waiting for you to close the door.) She spent an hour or so in there (mostly because I forgot she was in till I went to get dressed and she wasn't there). She came out and was still acting like a repentant puppy, till my husband came home and she began jumping on us and I yelled BAD DOG again and she went in there again, looking pathedic. (We are trying to get her to NOT jump on us, we usually end up looking like mauled animals now that it is summer. We have been trying to do this since we got her 8 months ago, but she is still having issues.)

I think she knows she's pissed me off, though, as she's been looking pathedic all day, even when my husband is around. She stares at me with her pethdic puppy dog look, but it doesn't work on me. She is a bad girl, she should not chew on her pillow. I guess she finally forgot what happened the last time she chewed up her pillow.

No comments: