09 August 2009

Basil Dog and the Dog Park

Past two posts dog themed....hmmm.

Anyways, Basil Dog went to a dog park this past weekend. I have always figured she'd adore dog parks, as when she used to walk before it began to boil in the dirt hole, she constantly wanted to play and when her two friends would come over, she always wanted to play 24/7. So I thought: Dog Park=Happy Basil Dog.

Nope. I was wrong. Ever so wrong.

My husband and I went shopping in Civilization and left Basil Dog with her all time favorite person (other than us), A. A said he was going to take Basil Dog and Macie to the dog park. Macie usually doesn't like the dog park, but she likes being outside I guess, or something along those lines. So, we left Basil Dog with cranky Macie and A and left.

After we were done shopping (sunglasses, makeup and the biggest JoAnn Fabrics I have EVER been in), my husband called A. At one point he said, "That is when you just gotta throw her in. Pick her up and toss her."

COnfused, I asked, "Is A trying to get Basil to go swimming?"

Our old method to get Basil in the water was to toss her in. Evil, I know, but she liked it, I swear. Her ears would perk up like they do when she's happy.

"No. Basil won't play with the other dogs," my husband informed me.

We set off for the dog park. We arrived to find A sitting at a picnic table in the shade (it was a boiling 100 plus day) and Macie patrolling the area around the picnic table to prevent any other dogs from greeting her person. As we got closer, I came to realize that Basil Dog was sitting under the table at A's feet. She came out when we got near, but as soon as another dog got near, she darted right back under the table. Macie joined her. Upon getting tot he table, I came to realize my former clean dog, was now a dusty mess because she was sitting in an actual dirt hole.

"Did she dig that hole?" my husband asked. He had at first claimed that the reason Basil Dog wasn't playing was the fact she was still wearing her seat belt harness, so he took it off, but she just went right back to cowering in her hole.

"No," A said. "It was sort of there." He looked under the table and went on, "I am pretty sure she's made it deeper since she got in there."

To which, she used her formerally white paws and dug herself a little deeper. Both my husband and I tried to get her to come out and play, but she refused to do this for us. Macie and Basil were the only dog not playing at the dog park and a few times a couple dogs tried to come over and say "Hi" but Macie and Basil wanted nothing to do with these dogs, which were all larger breeds, but that never stopped Basil before....

"Has she had any water?" I asked, notcing the siz eof her tounge.

"I've tried to get the two of them over to the water bowl, but neither will move. Macie has no interest in leaving the table, thus Basil won't move."

My husband used the water bottle I grabbed and poured water on the dogs to lap up. Thus, Basil went from dusty to muddy. After about fifteen minutes, I was soaked through with sweat and wanted to get going. I lured Basil out of the hole and tried to get her into her seat belt harness. The reward I got for this was a bunch of dirt in my face. I later noticed she had managed to get it all over my white shorts, shirt and even down my shirt (I had mud in my bra). A got up and started across the park to the leashes, and oddly, Basil followed him closely. Macie suddenly decided to check out the other dogs, but Basil was having none of it.

I walked Basil back to the parking lot and as we were walking, SHE TRIED TO PLAY WITH A DOG ON THE SIDEWALK. I told her tuff cookies, you are done.

She slept all the way home. Seriously, she was asleep as soon as we loaded her into our car (after we had made a pit stop at A's abode so I could de-dirt/mud myself and allow her to roll around his all ready dusty carpet). She was out cold until we got near the dirt hole and didn't even bark when we drove passed people. She just stared blankly, completely nackered.

Upon reflection of her behavior, I think the heat was an issue. Basil Dog is a Diva when it comes to heat. Remember, she thought it'd be a good idea to just randomly end her walk in the middle of the street because she was too hot and I had to carry her home. She still does this, now usually if I try to walk her she gives up after a block due to heat, thus why I just save us both the trouble and we don't walk outside, we play hard inside now. (which my poor bare legs tell that story) I think maybe when we get to a cooler climate, we will try the dog park again. Maybe, just maybe, next time she won't dig herself into a dirty hole.

No comments: