27 March 2010

Moving Sucks

I can't decide what I hate more: Packing or Unpacking.

We'll start with packing. I hate packing. Mostly because I'm not one for change, but also because I have no patience for it. I just want it all to magically PACK and be done. The two MAJOR moves I did over the past two years, I haven't done much packing because I simply SUCK at packing. I know what you're thinking: How hard can it be to put things in boxes? Well, for me it is hard. Do not ask me why, but it is. When I went to Scotland, my mother packed my bag for me. (I had packed it first but it was horrible, so she re did it, like she did each time I went off to college. You'd think I'd learn. I am made of fail when it comes to packing.) When I left Scotland, my friend J packed my whole life into two suitcases. I had packed it into two suitcases, and maybe ten boxes and there was still stuff everywhere. So, I suck at packing. When we left the dirt hole, we had like five people helping us pack up, and they are all almost professionals because they move so often. When I left home before coming to Alaska, my mother once again aided me in packing. Because I asked. And this time I paid attention and managed to keep myself packed.

Unpacking sucks for various reasons I have concluded. First, everything arrives and is in boxes, so your whole house is covered in boxes. Next, because you suck at packing (as did the movers who re-packed the boxes from the storage unit) nothing is in order. Actually, we were pretty good at packing the boxes in order of the important things, like kitchen stuffs. However, the movers repacked EVERYTHING and there was no rhyme or reason to their packing methods. I color coordinate my clothing in closet, so I packed it in the order. Today, I got to the boxes of clothing...not in any order and there were SCRAP BOOKING SUPPLIES mixed in with it. I know I packed those in the SCRAP BOOKING BOX. They unpacked my scrap booking BOX! As well as my fabric box. I am so pissed, but that isn't why I hate unpacking. I hate unpacking because I simply want it to be done. I want to move onto the more exciting aspects of moving: decorating. I want to paint, I want to get things moving, but you can't do anything till every random item is unpacked. And let me tell you, every random item was packed for us. Even the crap thrown into garbage bags, which I figured we'd just throw out.

In other news, I will be donating a TON of clothing. I have at least three years worth of stuff that we broght with us from our first move to the Dirt Hole (Dirt Hole had no where to donate stuff...can you believe that?) plus the stuff I bought in the dirt hole that I do not want/won't fit my fat butt. God, I thought I had a lot of clothes in Chicago with me, but I had a lot of stuff in storage. Mostly summer stuff, so I am getting rid of it. In all honesty, I did not wear most of it in the Dirt Hole, so why would I wear it in the Tundra I now live in?

I won't, so off it goes!
I guess that is one positive thing of unpacking. You realize all the stuff you can live without.

No comments: