27 March 2015

An Almost Pinterst Fail

I've had quite a few Pinterest fails. Mostly how to curl your hair. No matter which method I try, none of them work as advertised. However, I've not had many recipes fails.

I almost had one today.

I had planned to make blueberry muffins, but after I worked out today, I really wanted chocolate. So, after checking out this recipe for Chocolate Fudge Yogurt Cookies. Sounds good, right?

They might be, but I followed her directions and came out with a bowl of...a couple balls of dough, but mostly a bowl of flour mixed with coco. So, I improvised.

This usually ends badly. When I do not follow directions, things never taste right and turn out to be a disaster. It's why I don't like cooking and I stick to baking. I tweak occasionally, but I never just...go off the book.

Well, the book failed me this time. I've no clue what I did wrong, but my cookies were in danger, so, I added an egg white, melted a tablespoon and half of coconut oil, and got the electric beater out.

And almost killed the motor. After I was done, I was smelling something...well, wrong. I sniffed the oven, it smelled oven like. I smelled the dough, it smelled chocolate and minty. Finally, I went back to where I first smelled the odor and discovered the motor in the hand mixer was burning. Or something. I unplugged it and put it away. Hopefully it'll work next time.

ANYWAYS

The dough is REALLY THICK, but that leads to what Pilot Boy calls Cake Cookies.

So, without further ado, here's the recipe for...

Chocolate Cake Cookies
(adapted from Chocolate Fudge Yogurt Cookies.)

1 egg
1 egg white
1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil, semi melted
1 1/2 cups powder sugar (packed)
2 containers of single serving Chiboni plain Greek yogurt
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup unsweetened dark coco powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp plus 1 tbsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt (or the 2 tsps of sea salt, which I added to the mixture instead of sprinkling on top)
and how ever many chocolate chips you want. (I dumped half a bag of Mint Chocolate Chips and maybe 1/4 of a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips in when the first half bag didn't look like enough)

1. Preheat oven to 355. (Mostly because I cannot set my oven to 356. I can only do things by fives.)
2. Whisk egg, vanilla, and powder sugar together till smooth in a medium bowl. (It will appear at first as if there is too much dry ingredient in the bowl to actually combine, but don't worry, it will.) 
3. Mix the flour, coco, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl.
4. Add the vanilla sugar egg mixture to the flour coco mixture. Mix together till you give up at ever getting it to actually look combined.
5. Add the containers of yogurt. Attempt the mixing thing again.
6. When you feel like a failure at life, add the egg white and semi melted coconut oil (heat up some water, put a tiny bowl in the bigger bowl of heated water, add the coconut oil and melt. It takes like maybe a minute). 
7. Get out your electric mixer or hand mixer and use it like your life depends on it.
8. Try not to kill your mixer.
9. Once everything is combined and there's no more dry stuff lurking in the bowl, add the chocolate chips and mix again till the chips are lost within the massive amounts of dough.
10. Grab a spoon and drop onto cookie sheets.
11. Put in preheated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes depending on your oven.
12. Cool for three minutes, move to wire wracks.
13. Enjoy.









No comments: